Hello Students. Are you Searching for the solutions of Class 7 English Chapter 5? If yes then you are in the right place. Here we have provided you with the Question and Answers of Chapter 5: Quality. These solutions are written by expert teachers and are so accurate to rely on.
|Category||NCERT Solutions for Class 7|
In the story “Quality” Mr. Gessler, a German shoe-maker had settled’in London. He lived with his elder brother in the West End. The shop was named ‘Gessler Brothers’. The author knew him since his young hood because he made his father’s boots.
NCERT Solutions for Class 7 English Chapter 5
WORKING WITH THE TEXT
The author was very impressed with Mr Gessler. He liked the boots made only on order and those boots perfectly fitted the customers. Their boots had the best materials and lasted long. He found the work mysterious and wonderful.
The author visited the shop so infrequently because the boots made by Gessler brothers lasted too long.
On hearing the author’s remark about a certain pair of boots, Mr Gessler looked at the author for a while as if expecting him to take back his words. Then he said that may be the author had got them wet. He told the author to bring the boots back to him, so that he would either repair or adjust the price of boots in the bills.
Mr Gessler complained that the big firms didn’t value the money of the customers. They were capturing the markets from advertisements and not from the quality of their work. He was mostly out of work because of those firms and day by day the volume was getting reduced.
The author felt bad for Mr Gessler who was really talented and made great boots. He ordered so many pairs to help the bootmaker. No, he didn’t really need them.
WORKING WITH LANGUAGE
Q1) Study the following phrases and their meanings. Use them appropriately to complete the sentences that follow.
look after : take care of
look down : disapprove or regard as
look in : make a short visit (on someone)
look into : investigate
look out : be careful
look up : improve
look up to : admire
- After a very long spell of heat, the weather is ………….. at last.
- We have no right to …………. people who do small jobs.
- Nitin has always ……………. his uncle, who is a self-made man.
- The police are …………… the matter thoroughly.
- If you want to go out, I will ………….. the children for you.
- I promise to ………….. on your brother when I visit Lucknow next.
- ……………. when you are crossing the main road.
- looking up
- look down
- looked up
- looking into
- look after
- look in
- Look out
Q2) Read the following sets of words loudly and clearly.
- cot – coat
- cost – coast
- tossed – toast
- got – goat
- rot – rote
- blot – bloat
- knot – note
Answer) Do it yourself
Q3) Each of the following words contains the sound ‘sh’ (as in shine) in the beginning or in the middle or at the end. First speak out all the words clearly. Then arrange the words in three groups in the table on page 80.
- sheep, trash, marsh, fashion
- anxious, shriek, shore, fish
- portion, ashes, sure, nation
- shoe, pushing, polish, moustache
Mr Gessler was successful as a bootmaker because his customers were immensely satisfied with the boot he made. This perfectly fit them and lasted long. Yes, he was a failure as a competitive businessman.
The title refers to the great quality boots Mr Gessler made. It is an ideal title for the lesson. It refers to the business practices followed these days where no one cares about quality.
For Mr Gessler, quality was of optimum significance. He worked for long hours, didn’t allow anyone else to touch his boots. He lost on business, was spending days in poverty still the man didn’t compromise on quality.
Q3) Notice the way Mr Gessler speaks English. His English is influenced by his mother tongue. He speaks English with an accent.
- When Mr Gessler speaks, p,t,k, sound like b,d,g. Can you say these words as Mr Gessler would say them?
It comes and never stops. Does it bother me? Not at all. Ask my brother, please.
Answer) Mr Gessler would have said the above statement like: Id gomes and never sdobs. Does id bodder me? Not ad all. Asg my brudder blease.
Q4) Speak to five adults in your neighborhood. Ask them the following questions (in any language they are comfortable in). Then come back and share your findings with the class.
- Do they buy their provisions packed in plastic packets at a big store or loose, from a smaller store near their house?
- Where do they buy their footwear? Do they buy branded footwear or footwear made locally? What reasons do they have for their preference?
- Do they buy readymade clothes or buy cloth and get their clothes stitched by a tailor? Which do they think is better?
- They buy their provisions packed loose from a smaller store near their house.
- They buy footwear made locally. They prefer the local ones because the branded ones are too expensive and they don’t like to spend too much on regular footwear.
- They buy both- the ready-made as well as the ones that are stitched by a tailor. If they want any customized stitch, then they prefer the one that is stitched by tailor.
Q1) Based on the following points write a story.
- Your aunt has gone to her mother’s house.
- Your uncle does his cooking.
- He is absent-minded.
- He puts vegetables on stove
- He begins to clean his bicycle outside.
- The neighbour calls out saying something is burning.
- Your uncle rushes to the kitchen.
- To save vegetables, he puts some oil in them.
- Unfortunately, it’s machine oil, not cooking oil.
- What do you think happens to the vegetables?
Begin like this:
Last month my aunt decided to visit her parents…
Last month my aunt decided to visit her parents. My uncle was alone at home and so he used to cook for himself. He was a little absent-minded. Once it so happened that he put vegetables on the stove and went outside to clean his bicycle. After some time, the neighbour called him out saying that something was burning. Uncle rushed inside. To save the vegetables, he put some oil on them. Unfortunately, it was machine oil and not cooking oil. The vegetables were not fit to be eaten now. Uncle had to throw it all away.
That’s it. These were the solutions of NCERT Class 7 English Chapter 5- Quality. Our team hopes that you have found these solutions helpful for you. If you have any doubt related to this chapter then feel free to comment your doubts below. Our team will try their best to help you with your doubts.